Sunday, October 12, 2008

Texas Fire Ants

Anybody that has lived in Texas or has visited Texas and walked through the grass knows just what I am talking about when I mention Texas fire ants. What a horrible insect to invade this earth! They are everywhere and mean. They swarm. I swear they climb onto you very quietly and once they are all on you, they signal to all their friends, 1,2,3 BITE!!!!! And their bite is what gives them their name. And, once they bite, they leave you with a mark that itches for a week.
While at my parent's house this last weekend, me dear Spencer, managed to sit in a pile of ants. He started screaming but remained sitting in the pile of ants. Camie came running and moved him while Evan took off all his clothes and brushed the ants off. My dad was grabbing the hose ready to spray Spencer down. Afterwards, Spencer kept telling us he had "fire" on him. I doubt he will repeat the same mistake again.
These pictures do not give Spencer justice. He was bit probably about 50 times. He had them up his legs, around his waste, and on his neck. The bites swelled. We put Cortizone cream and Calamine lotion on him, and one of those or the combination stopped the swelling. These bites are a few days old. Poor little boy. It's too bad he had to figure out Texas fire ants the hard way. Danielle did the same thing when she was about his age.
One of my friends was puling weeds and got a few bites on her hand. He whole hand is swollen. These ants are just mean!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Poor Spencer. Alex got his first bites on Saturday. He was walking in the grass and caught my attention with a cute wave and a smile. So I walked over to him to pick him up and was shocked to see ants swarming his feet. They were just getting started so we were lucky. What if I had just waved back?

Julia said...

poor thing!! those ants are mean. they are definitely one of the worst parts about living in houston. i hope spencer is feeling okay.