Thursday, December 18, 2008

Spinach

I try to eat a lot of leafy greens. I've never really liked them. It wasn't until I was pregnant with Taneal that I even ate any kind of green salad. And then I had a weird craving and I actually wanted a salad. The craving never completely disappeared, although I can only eat them with Italian dressing. So, 8 years later I am much further down the green leafy road. I eat a green salad nearly every day and usually get my daily recommended amount of vegetables. Pretty good considering where I was 8 years ago. But, I kind of still have to force myself.

Spinach is one of those that i am fine to eat with Italian dressing. But I could always eat more. Through the latter part of Nathan's pregnancy and then over the last few months I have been the smoothie queen. Almost a great smoothie every day. At Thanksgiving my sister-in-law, Karen, was making a smoothie and of course I wanted to try it. She told me what was in it and I loved it! So, I've tried it a few times at home and my kiddos LOVE it!

Yes, the main ingredient is Spinach. I add a few strawberries and blue berries. Maybe a little orange juice concentrate and some water. Oh, and flax seed. Wha laaa! A healthy smoothie providing me with probably two to three servings of my vegetables and two servings of fruits all for breakfast. And, it is super yummy. You can't even taste the spinach in it. Really. My children love it! I have to double it because Danielle, Spencer, and Camie all want one. It's that good!

3 comments:

Cindy H said...

I want the recipe...to know the amounts of everything. I am up to try a new smoothie and to sneak in some more good stuff!

Karen Linn Bell said...

Stephenie! I am so glad you like the smoothie! Getting those green leafy veggies everyday pack most of our vitamins. Going green has more than one meaning!

123 checkoutourfamily said...

Yeah, I'd like the recipe too. Brayden isn't a huge fan of veggies so any way we can sneak them in.