Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Team

This delivery was exceptional. First, I went into labor all on my own. I wanted to go on my own, but was so tired of being pregnant and sick that I welcomed an induction. I was disappointed in myself that I was willing to give up a natural labor for an induction, but I was ready to be done being pregnant. So, I scheduled that induction which was cancelled because the hospital was too full and I ended up going into labor on my own just a few short hours after I was supposed to be at the hospital for the induction. Yeah me!
Because I don't like to get epidurals, I chose to deliver with a midwife. And can I tell you she was amazing! Because she works in a practice with a bunch of doctors, they require her to work during business hours like they do so if you go into labor during those hours, she isn't able to be there with you throughout your labor. With Nathan she was able to be there the entire time. With Gavin, she had to be across the street seeing patients. This problem became minimal because of the nurse who was there to help deliver Gavin. I have a friend at church that is a labor and delivery nurse and I asked her if she was willing to help me deliver Gavin. Ruth set her schedule so that she could be there for the induction, so she was already working when I went in. She was wonderful. I felt bad that she was cleaning up after me, getting me my drinks, etc. But it was so nice to have a nurse who knew me, had my interest at heart, and was my friend. She was so helpful, stayed with me throughout the entire labor and delivery, talked me through all those painful contractions, and made me feel so comfortable in any way possible. She was wonderful. She used to work alongside with my midwife, Chantal, when my midwife was a labor and delivery nurse. They are friends, knew how to work well together, and during the delivery I felt that I was in a room full of my closest friends. The only ones in the room were Evan, Chantal, Ruth, and me. The room felt so close, so personal, and not just a hospital room with a medical procedure being performed. It was a great team and a wonderful experience.

No comments: