
Nathan know his colors. He can tell you purple, blue, white, brown, black, green, and nearly every color inbetween. But he can't tell the difference between red and green. He knows all the rest. But everything red is always green.
So I experimented. I gave him a handful of m&ms and had him sort the colors. He pulled out all the browns, then the yellows, the blues. And what was left was a pile of greens and reds. He looked at it for a moment and then slowely started to sort those two colors. And he got them right. But it was with effort. He really had to concentrate to figure out the reds from the greens.
Could this be colorblindness? We are talking a 3 year old here. And when I performed the m&m test he was still 2.
When he called a red green, I would let him know that was red. But he was so consistent I was convinced he could not tell the difference.
That was about three months ago. Had I written this post like I intended to, I would have said 100% the kid is colorblind.
I guess maybe I managed to teach him his colors wrong. Wouldn't that seriously be a cruel joke to play? Don't know how he managed to learn the red and greens wrong, but he did. After months and months of saying, "are you sure that is green? Cause it looks red to me" he has finally figured out that there are indeed red things in this world.
Truthfully what I think it is? He is slightly colorblind and has just figured out the hues and is so stinking smart that he actually knows that this shade of grey is considered red and that shade of grey is, well, green. I don't know. But it is kind of interesting that he picked the two most common colorblind colors and mixed them up like a colorblind person would.
I'm still not convinced he isn't. Im interested to see how things turn out a few years from now. Like say, kindergarten.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
3 comments:
Hi Steph,
That really interesting. A while back I thought Jason might be color blind, and so I found a color blind test online at http://colorvisiontesting.com/online%20test.htm. Larry, Nancy's husband is color blind and he said these are the kind of test they used for him.
Yes, he could. You might want to wait a couple years before having him actually "diagnosed", but you could go into a pediatrician or an optomologist/opthamologist. Jeremy is color blind. He is the opposite. He can see "vivid" red and "vivid" green (as well as black and white). All other colors are distorted. Many boys have some sort of color deficiency.
As a color-blind individual, (and if he is color-blind) when he is a teenager- please do not play the "and what color is that" game. It is not fun. =)
Post a Comment