Saturday, May 5, 2012

It's Your Day

I'm not sure how it works in most families, but in this one, we have issues. Issues that do not need to exist. For example, who gets to say the prayer? Here, the children would begin arguing over who said it last and how they never get a chance to say it and please, I just said it.

We also have the problem with who gets to read scriptures first. Or last. And who gets to do this and who gets to do that.

Where my problem lies is all these activities that we are doing are so good. Things we are supposed to be doing, right? But throw in a little contention and it feels like regardless of how good of intentions I may have in doing these things, I loose all the positive benefits by all the contention they create.

So I came up with a brilliant idea.  Not sure if I am the one who actually came up with it, but I can't remember who did and I think it was me, so I'm going to take the credit.

Now that I think about it, actually, my grandpa gave me the idea years ago. I was in college visiting him. I remember having morning prayer, breakfast prayer, lunch prayer, supper prayer, and bedtime prayer. It was just my grandpa and grandma living together alone. Each day the same person said all the prayers for the whole day. I remember thinking it strange but great. Because how else are you going to remember whose turn it is? Brilliant.

So here is the brilliant idea incorporated into my family.

We each have a day. We started this about a year ago and it works! It really works. Most of my ideas work for a few day. If I'm lucky they even work a week. But then piddle out. This one really stuck and I love it!

Monday is my day. I say all the prayers. Or I can assign the prayer to someone willing. I get to start out with scripture reading in the morning. And in December, I get to do all the advent calendars for that day. Nice perk. We alleviated all the contention from these activities and many more by assigning days of the week to each person. Tuesday is Taneal. Wednesday is Camie. Thursday is Danielle, Friday Spencer. Nathan gets Saturday and Evan Sunday. Because we know he will be home on Sunday.

What am I going to do when Gavin wants his own day? And that is just around the corner! I may have to share my day with Evan. I refuse to share the candy from the advent calendars!

 

3 comments:

Sharon said...

What a great idea!!!

LOVE TO DANCE said...

my goodness!!!!green milk, holding still for 35 minutes, surgery. you are a champ, so tough....my prayers will be with you. include the details. you are right this is real life.
leslie leonard

Chris said...

I like your idea. We had a funny way to do this in my college apartment at BYU. At 8:00 pm, someone in our apartment would kneel down on the floor. Then the last one to get their knees down would say the prayer. It really worked as a motivator to say the prayer. Someone would say "I'm kneeling!" and after a crash and wrestling to get on the carpet, we'd say a prayer. It worked pretty well.