Monday, April 16, 2012

TEE Test

I think I am done with testing. At least for this year. Had that down- my- throat ultrasound done. Don't remember it because I got to sleep through it. Yay!

 I do remember the results.

My regurgitation is moderate. They don't really need to do anything until it becomes severe. So that is really good news. However, because it is moderate, it will become severe. And that means open heart surgery in my future. The type surgery where they crack your chest open, pull out your heart, detach it from your body, fix it, put it back in, and everything is better. Well, better after 2 months of no lifting. 2 months of not being able to take care of my family. But that's just details, right?

I'm almost at peace with where this is at. I know what will happen and I am fortunate it will not be this year.

I can still exercise. I can still walk my kids to and from school. I can still do almost everything I was doing before. I need to take some fun meds to slow the progress of this. I don't like the idea of having to take medications. But I also need to take care of my body so I can be around to take care of my family.

I have a follow-up appointment this week. Hopefully I don't find out anything I don't already know. Shouldn't.

So really, I'm doing good. Everything is okay. It was a bit of a shocker and a little hard to digest the information at first. And obviously my last few posts reflect that. Probably should have deleted them because of how much emotion I expressed in them. But I am resisting. This is my life and it's what's happening. It is very real. And at times very scary. But it will all be okay.

4 comments:

Karen Linn Bell said...

Thanks for your post. Yes, you expressed exactly why I have a hard time with journaling of any sort. I don't like going back in my posts and reading how I felt or what I said that I thought was so meaningful to me at the time and then later I think I am silly. But you are not silly. The prophet said to keep a journal, so -good job! I think anyone would be shocked, but I bet it's good to know there are many people who have had the surgery and done well recovering afterwards. You are a strong woman and your family loves you! :) It is good that you also are strong enough to be able to wait, and prepare fully for the experience. (Mentally, physically, spiritually, with your kids and activities and callings.) That is a blessing! Good to see you and your family at Easter! Miss you already!

Slim said...

Stephenie, you are one amazing woman. Maybe the Lord gave you a defective heart so that you could have a flaw, because you're pretty much perfect in every other way! I'm sorry I didn't know before now. Hugs to you!

Sarah Heaton said...

I am really, really glad that there is a plan and that no one is cracking you open just yet. We adore you over here. Down those pills, girl, and stay intact.

Chris said...

I've had a surgery similar to what it sounds like you're in for. They didn't do anything to my heart, but they did fully remove my sternum and remove a scary-looking growth and wire it back on. I'm definitely part of the zipper-club. Everyone kept telling me that it's very common, but it was really scary to me. I'd be happy to chat with you about it. Hang in there!