I think I may have my kids on board with this running thing. I told them they could have all the ice cream they wanted if they would run a 5K. Plus, they would get a really cool shirt and would have the bragging rights of saying they ran their first 5K when they were 11. Or 8. Or 6. How cool is that? I didn't mention that a 5K was 3 miles. Or that there would be hills involved. I did tell them that they had to run the whole thing or all the ice cream would be gone, they needed to pass up all 4,700 people running so there would be as much ice cream as they wanted to eat.
Thankfully for good friends. I seriously have some of the best friends ever. I could not manage my clan without them. I signed up for the event, the 5k, and also signed Taneal, Camie, Danielle, and Spencer up for it as well. I knew Nathan (4) would want to run, but I figured the 5K would probably be too much for him. They had a 1 mile that kids could walk, so I signed him up for that.
I can't be in two places at once. Jana stepped in and helped. She took Nathan and Gavin, along with several of her children, and walked the mile. Seriously awesome woman.
These are all my kids and her kids. Wow. That's a lot of kids.
Here is the 1 miles crew after finishing their run. Can you tell they loved it?
And of course all the Blue Bell ice cream you could eat. Why would you not want to run a race and get the best ice cream in the world after?
I had Taneal buddy up with Spencer in the 5K. She had run one 5K before and this was his first. I knew he would be able to do it, but might need a little push to run up the hills. I predicted it right. She pushed a little and he ran the whole thing. Can I just say how amazed I am? He is only 6. Wow! And he LOVED it! Spencer does love to run. When I did the Color in Motion 5K, I asked him if he would be interested in running it next year. He said he would really like to, just didn't want to get the color all over him. Yah, that means that race isn't for him. But the Blue Bell race? Perfect for him. And he did so well. Go Spencer! And GO Taneal for helping make this a success for Spencer.
I buddied up with Danielle
Danielle did so well until the last 1/2 mile. And then she rocked! She wanted to walk. It was a big hill and I totally understand why. However, I wanted her to accomplish something hard and I didn't want her to have regrets later. I ended up holding her hand and kind of pulling her along. That and lots of encouragement. And she did it! When we were driving home, she told me she almost started crying because it was so hard. She also said her legs felt funny towards the end of the run. I asked her if they felt like jell-o. She got this surprised and silly look on her face and said said that was exactly how her legs felt.
Danielle was so proud of herself after. And rightly so. She really accomplished something hard. She was able to push herself and that lesson in and of itself is invaluable.
Camie was my child I was worried would just want to walk the race. Even if I had been her buddy to help her along, it wouldn't have made a difference. When she decides something, she digs her heels in and there is no changing her mind. She had her friend, Kayla, with her. Not sure if that helped. There was excitement in the air. Camie beat Danielle and me to the finish line. She admitted later that she walked part of the last hill. But seriously, that was fine. She made good time and finished a 5K. And check out her as she was finishing. She obviously was having a great time.
Here is a closer look at her. She was having fun!
Here is Camie and Kayla eating all the ice cream they wanted.
Taneal and I enjoying the ice cream, too.
Camie, Kayla, Lindsay, and Danielle
We couldn't pass up the Blue Bonnets. Spencer insisted I get his picture. He even had me print it out at home so he could take it to school and show his teacher.
Silly Danielle.
Taneal, always a good helper and such a trooper. She made it so we had a great time with the race. I love that girl!
Danielle right after the race. She really did work hard.
Nathan found an awesome climbing tree. I think this is the first time he has actually agreed to let me take his picture!.
My 3 boys in the tree.
We had a great day. My kids are excited to run this race again next year. I wonder if we ought to wait or sign up for something sooner?





No comments:
Post a Comment