Sunday, March 13, 2011

We Eat Eggs


I truly am a hick. You should see some of the pictures my brother recently send to me that prove just how hickish I am/was.
I now live in a suburban community with a tiny backyard and I can hear my neighbors outside my windows that are having a conversation inside their home. It really isn't that bad, but our homes are pretty close together.
I grew up on acreage with cows and pigs and horses and chickens and lots of dogs and cats that actually caought mice. My brothers ran around shirtless and I ran around without shoes. When my mom needed a break from the 8 of us, she would walk up the hill and hang out with the chickens. I think it is funny how much she enjoyed their company, and as I have more children I am starting to understand.
How I was raised runs though my veins whether I want to admit it or not. Sometimes I actually find myself thinking a farm would be nice. Especially with the amount of eggs my family goes through.
My sister decided to raise her family on some acres and actually have chilckens where she collects and eats their eggs. She still hasn't admitted to hanging out with the chicken, but I secretly know that she does! When she came to visit me back in January, she mentioned that she had so many eggs in her fridge that she wished she would have brought me some. She didn't have cartons because she no longer bought eggs. I decided to start saving my egg cartons and over the course of 6 weeks, look how many I saved! Or shall I rephrase that. LOOK HOW MANY EGGS WE EAT!!! I knew my kiddos liked eggs and ate them really well. But I had no idea we ate them that much. I counted 18 cartons, and many of those cartons hold 18 eggs.
And that was over 6 weeks!

2 comments:

123 checkoutourfamily said...

wow, that's a lot of eggs!

Dorias Swensen said...

I do NOT hang out with the chickens. (even secretly)!!!...

I will bring eggs the next time I head that way.