Thursday, August 15, 2013

Danielle's 9th Birthday Party



Every other year I throw my kids a friend birthday party. Last year was supposed to be Danielle's turn, but we were on a family vacation and unable to throw it. And, we got home so late in the summer and I just didn't get a chance to throw the party before school started. So, this year was her year and we had fun.

Danielle wanted an art party. Can I say just how much I love Pinterest? So many ideas. What did I ever do without it? I love, love, love all the ideas. So Pinterest became mine and Taneal's friend as we scoured it for ideas that we liked and thought we could pull off. 

Yes, Taneal is a super big helper with things like this. I blew up the balloons and she hung them above this window.

And Camie? Super big helper too. She baked and decorated this cake. I showed her a similar picture and gave her a few basic directions and she made it happen. 


Parties are so much easier to throw with built in helpers. And what is even better? I trained them. They do it my way. They sort of think like me and have great ideas and skill and I love to have their help in every way. They are the best.


I made the paint pallet cookies. Do you think they look like paint pallets? I didn't want to buy a super expensive cookie cutter shaped like a paint pallet, so I used my heart-shaped cookie cutter and improvised. I think I pulled it off. They tasted good.

And the water bottles that I forgot to pass out.




We started the party by having the arriving guests color with crayons and markers. After everyone showed up, I gave them each a canvas bag and they got to paint the bag. 



We had pizza for lunch.

Then we played a minute-to-win-it game. Everyone was given a cup and a color and they had to use a straw to "suck up" their m&m's and put them in their cup. Whoever got the most in their cup won. Super fun.


My sister-in-law that just moved here last week, is an artist. She so willingly came to the birthday party and painted faces. Super, super, super big hit!
And then we made flubber. Mix glue, water, and coloring together. Then add water mixed with a little borax. There is a recipe that is easy to find on the internet. Super, even more super hit. And, I had cute little containers to hold the flubber for the kids to take home.




Then time for the birthday cake. Camie did such a good job. And I love that she loves to do it because I think I am getting too old for all this work. I don't love to decorate cakes because I'm not that good at it. When I am done everyone seems impressed and my kids are happy. But all I can see is the mistakes of which are so many I don't understand how anyone could possibly like my creation. So I will happily let Camie do this job and be impressed with her talent.





This is Karen painting faces. Isn't she so talented?




Gavin and Megan. Megan is my niece, Karen the artist's daughter. The ones that just moved her last week. Gavin and Megan are about 6 months apart. 



All in all, I think the party was a success. The only thing I would have done different was to figure out how to do all the games I had planned. I had this super cool idea of dividing into teams and giving each team a white paper plate and a bunch of stickers and see which team could cover the plate completely first. There just wasn't enough time.

No comments: