Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Grateful #2: A Great Pediatrician

Today I am grateful for a fantastic Pediatrician.

Two days ago the school nurse called me saying Camie was running a fever, could I come get her and please don't bring her back the following day. Well, Camie coughed a bit, and played hard. She did not act very sick, so I sent her to school today. Around lunch the school nurse called again and said that Camie was back in the clinic coughing so bad it was disrupting the class and could I please come get her.

If a child of mine gets a call twice in the same week from the school nurse, I probably ought to take her into the doctor. Suck up the copay and just go.

About a year ago I found the best pediatrician. And GOOD pediatricians are really hard to come by. This Pediatrician takes the time needed to fully, conservatively diagnose, and then fully explain her findings. She really is fantastic. Never in a rush. Never thinks I have a "stupid" question. And isn't a prescription antibiotic happy doctor.

Today I was glad I took Camie in. Dr. R listened to her lungs. Listened to them some more. And then listened even more. She explained as she was going. Grabbed the pulse/ox. Listened to Camie's lungs some more. Asked a few questions. And then said Camie has Walking Pneumonia made worse by Asthma (She previously had asthma). We were prescribed antibiotics, couch medicine with codeine, and an inhaler. Camie's pulse/ox was around 94-96. She was having trouble getting oxygen thus causing the cough which helped her oxygen levels.

This is just a sample of my Pediatrician. She takes time to listen. She explains. She isn't in a rush. And she is good. She has 6 children of her own that she raised and then went to medical school. She has the mother experience backed by the medical. She really is good.

I have been going to pediatricians for 12 years now (not me personally, but me with my children). Only one other time have I found I pediatrician that I loved, and that was when we lived in a different state.

A good Pediatrician is so hard to find. And I finally found one. This may not be a simple thing, but it is the thing that today I am thankful for.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Steph--I need to send a link to this post to one of my visiting teaching sisters who has recently moved to the area and is looking for a Pediatrician. And give SERIOUS thought to changing my kids, too.

Thanks for this post.